What is Endometriosis
Endometriosis is a health disorder of females in which the cells of uterus grow in other parts of the body causing pain, swelling, bleeding and infertility.
The endometrium is the innermost layer of cells of uterus. They grow in size and number and overlap each other’s and also spread in other organs like fallopian tubes and cause blockages. This leads to thickening of internal wall of uterus, which leads to pain, inflammation, heavy / irregular bleeding, painful bleeding and most commonly infertility
Endometriosis affects about 3-15 % of the women. The exact cause is not known in modern medicine but according to Ayurveda – Stress is one of the leading causes of Endometriosis. Use of hormonal pills is also one of the reasons. Unwanted sex in which female partner is not mentally involved is also one of the reasons in some cases of endometriosis.
This disease is one of the leading causes of hystrectomy and laprotomy in majority of women. There is no specific treatment for endometriosis available in modern medicine other than surgery.
The Root Causes of Endometriosis
According to Ayurveda, the following general types of imbalances are at the source of most chronic conditions, for the endometriosis.
- Toxins accumulating in tissues and blocking circulation.
- Poor nutrition.
- Poor digestion.
- Imbalance of the nervous system.
- Accumulation of physical and mental stress.
- Lowering of natural resistance and immunity.
- Disruption of natural biological rhythms.
- Unprogressive menstruation
- Abnormal growth of embryonic cells
- Transportation of endometrial cell through blood or lymphatic
- Endometrial cell implantation while surgery
- History of endometriosis in family
- Toxins in the environment lead an imbalance in hormones
The common modern medical approach to match drugs to symptoms does not completely address many of these factors. As a result, modern medicine often cannot fully remove the disorder and the condition becomes chronic. Chronic means that the condition persists over time even with the best modern medical treatment.
Endometriosis can be diagnosed by
- Transvaginal ultrasonography
Classical Symptoms of Endometriosis
- Mild to severe pain in pelvic region
- Painful menses
- Irregular menses
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Menstrual blood contains big blood clots
- Spotting before menses
- Pain during sex
- Increase in urinary frequency
- Painful micturition
- Infertility because of scarring of ovaries and fallopian tubes
Complications of Endometriosis
- An increased risk for ovarian cancer
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
Ayurveda treatment set the balance right to achieve healthy menstrual cycles. The treatments include internal medications and external Panchakarma procedures as per patients conditions.
Suggested Diet and Lifestyle for a Endometriosis Patient:
- The patient should follow strict timings with respect to his meals, waking and sleeping. The patient should sleep early and rise early as close to sunrise as possible
- Breakfast should consist of natural uterine cleansers and tonics like Pappaya at least till good control is achieved
- Lunch should comprise of food which is easy to digest. Use of bakery products, foods containing excessive salt, red meat etc must be avoided.
- Cruciferous vegetables, cereals must be preferred prepared with very minimal salt
- Dinner should comprise of light foods preferably steamed, salads with lots of carrot and parsley.
- Salt again must be restricted. Salt plays a major role and the minimal usage the better.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Endometriosis
Medicines include usage of herbs that help strengthening the immune system which in turn helps the glands function properly and create an hormonal balance
There are good herbal remedies for Endometriosis explained in Ayurvedic medicine. Most useful herbs are Shatavari, Ashoka, Lodhra and Arjua.
- Take Decoction of Daruharidra [Berberis aristrata] every morning empty stomach for 3 menstrual cycles. Or ‘Daruharidra ghana’ can be taken 2 tablets twice a day. This strengthens the uetrus controls bleeding and also allievates pain. Other useful herbs for this purpose are Lodhra [Symplocos racemosa], Arjun [Terminalia arjuna].
- Take 5gms of Shatavari [Asparagus racemosus], 5gms of Vidarikanda [Pueraria tuberosa], 3 gms of Arjun [T. arjuna]. Boil these herbs in 150ml of water till ¼ th remain left. Then Filter and drink once a day. This is very effective tonic. This medicine must be used once the bleeding is controlled and menses become regular by medicine.
- Generic Ayurveda preparations ‘Sarivadyasava’ effectively controls bleeding and helps the quality of blood improve. It can be combined with other medicine if symptoms are severe.
- ‘Chandraprabha vati’ is a generic Ayurveda preparation. 2 tablets [250mg each] two times a day with pomegranate juice/ cow’s milk should be taken. This strengthens the ovaries and helps prevent cysts.
- Ashwagandhaaristha is a medicated wine which is an excellent medicine to strengthen the uterus. 5ml of the wine diluted with 10ml of warm water two times a day for 3 -4 months. The above tablets can be consumed with it for better results.
- Use of a mild laxative like ‘Triphala Churna’ is recommended to strengthen the intestine and prevent buildup of toxins.
- Use of Herb Gorakhmundi [Sphaeranthus indica] is effectve in controlling pain in this condition. It should be taken 2 times a day for 10 days just before menses.
- Haridra Extract (Turmeric) capsules are also very useful natural remedy in endometriosis.
- Kachnaar Guggul works to shrink the membranes, tumor like cells, endometrial growth and so on
- Pradrantak Churna – This is a herbal powder mixture of various herbs like pushyanug churna and ashoka churna. Ashok tree is known to possess qualities to balance female hormones. The excess of estrogen and progesterone hormones are balanced slowly in a natural way rather than in an a quick fashion as in birth control pills or hormonal therapies. The bark of this tree is used to prepare this formulation along with 14 more rare herbs. – 1 teaspoonful twice daily with warm water is recommended.
This preparation gives a lot of strength to the uterus and helps to heal the lining.
Apart from these medicines like Abrakh bhasma, Vang bhasma, Kachnaar Guggul, Pradarantak Lauh etc are very useful.
Panchakarma for Endometriosis
Panchakarma may help a long way in curing endometriosis. The nature of treatment depends on the physician’s discretion. Generally Virechana karma is best in this type of gynecological problems. It is also indicate in the ayurvedic classics that in any type of ladies disorder virechana karma among the various other panchakarma procedures is the bestand ideal, as all the gynaecological disorders are related to pitta dosha. As gyanecological problems are also associated with vitiated vata dosha so, Basti tratment [medicated enemas] will do the trick. This treatmnet fortifys the Apana Vayu which is responsible to bring about healthy cycles. The Basti treatments may be complemented with Uttar Basti [enemas through Vagina] which help fortify the uterine walls.
Ayurveda evaluation determines the imbalances in the functioning modes of the body and then prescribes treatement to restore balance. These underlying imbalances are the root causes of a condition and must be removed if real healing is to occur. By determining the causal imbalances at the basis of a disorder, Ayurveda evaluation helps address the fundamental source of ill health in the individual.
A Natural Treatment Program for Endometriosis
These therapies are not only effective at removing the imbalances at the basis of chronic disorders but also have no significant side-effects. The goal of this Ayurveda approach is to enliven the body’s natural healing and self-repair ability not only to help reduce endometriosis, but also to prevent disorders and create the highest state of health and well-being.
1) Removing the Buildup of toxins and impurities
Most chronic disorders start when toxins accumulate in tissues and begin to disrupt the delicate biochemistry there. Toxin buildup can also obstruct the channels of circulation and elimination. This blockage prevents proper nutrition from reaching the tissues and blocks the processes that cleanse them of impurities.
According to Ayurveda, this process is at the basis of endometriosis. Chronic toxin accumulation in the reproductive tissue irritates the tissues into responses that result in the slow accumulation of excess tissue and fibroids. Without the toxin accumulation there would not be so much excess tissue formation in these areas. It is vital to stop the processes causing toxins to accumulate and improve circulation and eliminative function to these areas so they may purify and heal themselves.
Ayurvedic panchakarma therapy treatments cure the problem through system
- Loosening impurities that have become embedded in tissues and helping liquefy them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination.
- Softening and opening the channels of circulation and elimination so proper nourishment can reach the tissues and impurities can be more easily eliminated from them.
- Activating the elimination process for the most thorough cleansing of the entire physiology.
Herbalized Oil Massage
Herbalized oil massage is used both at home and in our in-residence treatments to aid the cleansing process.Specific herbalized oil that is individually prepared according to your condition is very effective.
Herbalized oil massage provides a deeply soothing and balancing effect for the entire physiology. The motion of massage creates heat and friction which enhance circulation and help cleanse affected tissues of chemical impurities that could be causing symptoms of endometriosis. The oil and herbs cleanse and nourish the tissues to aid their repair and development.
2) Proper Nutrition
Which foods to favor and avoid for your condition is the meaning of proper nutrition. Avoid foods that are hard-to-digest, clogging aggravating to the functioning modes that are already imbalanced in you. Favor foods that are easy-to-digest, nourishing, cleanse the physiology, strengthen digestion and balance your body’s inner intelligence.
3) Proper food preparation
Cooking is the Basic principles of Ayurveda. Knowledge of how to prepare foods in ways that create maximum nourishment for the body while simultaneously preventing incomplete digestion and clogged circulation.
4) Ayurveda Herbs
Herbs are considered nutritional supplements in Ayurveda. Their purpose is to restore balance to the specific functioning modes whose malfunctioning is causing your condition. The appropriate herbal formulas for aiding the healing process, strengthening digestion and helping the body purify itself of toxins and free radicals.
Ayurveda says that herbs are most effective after a person completes an internal cleansing program. The cleansing and rejuvenation treatments are the main treatment. Once this program is finished, you are ready to gain maximum benefits from your herbal program.
5) Creating strong digestion
One should be able to properly digest food is as important as what specific food we eat. Incompletely digested foods create toxins and impurities that are eventually absorbed, travel throughout the physiology, localize in tissues and disrupt their functioning. This process plays a major role in a wide variety of chronic conditions, endometriosis.
Strengthening digestion including:
- Proper use of spices and cooking oils.
- Herbal preparations for improving digestion.
- Important differences between breakfast, lunch and dinner foods.
- A simple system to determine a balanced diet.
- Digestion-enhancing foods to favor.
- Digestion-depressing foods to reduce.
- Eating behavior for maximum digestion.
- Proper food combinations to avoid indigestion.
- Non-dietary regiments to improve digestive strength including exercise, specific Yoga asanas and breathing techniques.
6) Balancing nervous system activity
The nervous system controls most bodily functions, and almost every chronic condition is affected in some way when the nervous system activity becomes imbalanced. According to Ayurveda, the physiological principle at the basis of nervous system stability and activation is called Vata. Because nervous system imbalance contributes to endometriosis, from the Ayurveda perspective Vata imbalance is an underlying cause of the condition and needs to be reversed.
Ayurvedic treatment helps to maintain balance Vata and remove the symptoms caused by its aggravation. These include specific diets, herbs, cleansing programs, the Transcendental Meditation technique, Yoga asanas and Yoga breathing exercises etc.
7) Stress Management
Excessive mental, emotional and physical stress can worsen the symptoms of many chronic disorders, including endometriosis. This is due to hormonal changes and other biochemical responses to stress that can imbalance the nervous system and depress the healing ability of the body.
Enhancing the body’s ability to recover from stress is an integral part of ayurvedic approach to health and well-being. The following programs help reverse the body’s response to stress:
- Meditation program
- Ayurveda massage and heat treatments
- Yoga asana postures
6) Lifestyle and Daily Routine
One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms. When we eat, sleep and exercise in constantly fluctuating and disturbing patterns, the body loses its natural balancing cycles and cannot cleanse or heal itself as effectively. Therefore, regularity in our daily routine can be extremely effective in reducing physiological imbalance at the basis of endometriosis.
7) Strengthening the body’s natural healing and self-repair mechanisms
Ultimately every treatment approach must depend on the body’s natural healing ability for a real cure of the condition. Ayurvedic approach is not to attack the disease with something from the outside, like drugs or surgery, but to attempt to enliven the innate healing response of the body.
The healing response is one of the most complex and coordinated activities within the human physiology and often cannot be strengthened significantly without a comprehensive natural approach.
Taken together, all the Ayurvedic programs described above aim to create the ideal mental, physical and behavioral environment for healing